Sunday, August 05, 2012

One Purple Sock, One Green Sock

I saw this yarn online and I fell in love with the colors. The yarn is Kauni Effekt and it’s made in one of the Scandinavian countries - can’t remember which one. It’s all shades of green and purple and I thought it would make a great pair of socks. So, I started knitting with the almost lime green yarn.

 
Gradually the the color started to darken (a really well done color transition) and by the time I reached the heel, it was a dark blue/green. I continued to knit but I’m starting to wonder where the purple is. As I approach the toe I’m starting to pray - “Please, just a purple toe will be fine”.

Hint of opposing colors at the top
Hint of opposing color at the toe
As I’m doing the Kitchener stitch at the toe, there’s a small hint of pink. NO PURPLE!! So, I start the next sock and the pink progresses and by the time I reach the heel flap I have a nice strong purple and at the Kitchener stitch I realize I now have one green sock and one purple sock from the same ball of yarn.



So here’s the thing. This yarn probably has one of the most subtle and beautiful color transitions I’ve ever seen. However, the length of the color run, which would be ideal in a larger garment, is a bit long for socks. It’s a good thing I don’t mind the unconventional. I’m just waiting so someone to tell me I have on socks that don’t match. I will reply that I have another pair just like this at home.     END OF POST

No comments: