Thursday, August 14, 2008

Blacks in the Military - another fabric postcard


This is our first year doing a postcard for Veteran’s Day focusing on blacks in the military. The pictures on my card come from the government's 1992 Veteran’s Day poster.





I really struggled with this one - coming up with some elaborate plans that just weren’t doable. I finally had to simplify the plan and ended up cutting the pilot's helmet out of some suede I had on hand and appliqueing it to the image fused to the card. Then I decided not to zigzag the edge and wrapped the fabric. I was then faced with the problem of how to attach the postcard back. After struggling with 2 fabric backs, I finally decided to print on paper instead to provide a cleaner look to the back and speed up the process.

My list sisters are working on another card. This one is a “do-your-own-thing” - no mandated theme. I chose not participate in this one. I think I’m postcard burned out - at least until the signup for the holiday card begins. Like last year, I think I will also make these my personal Christmas card. So, as soon as I get these in the mail tomorrow, I will begin the Christmas card design process.


I’m really excited! In September I will be attending a five-day workshop in Massachusetts with Ruth Mc Dowell . I really love her work (see photos at left and below) particularly her botanicals. The workshop will teach how to take a photograph and convert it to a quilt. Her quilts are usually not photorealistic (although the stone wall is pretty close)but that is their appeal. I had tried to register for it at the beginning of the year only to discover it was full. I put my name on the waiting list and a spot opened up for me about 2 months ago. I’m really looking forward to it.


No comments: