Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Traveling quilt tops

I arrived at the Virginia house on Saturday and saw the house for the first time in the winter. Not much to see but I miss the green of the trees seen in this picture. As usual, I brought some projects to work on. I seem to get a lot more done when I'm here - free from distractions and with a clarity of creative thought. I just hope that remains once I move here. Anyway, two quilt tops are moving on to the next stage. Click the rest to see.
I've tackled my least favorite quilt job - making the sandwich - and I've discovered that working on the bed has made the process a lot easier. When the backing is spread out on the wool blanket it sticks and I am able to lay out the backing totally free of wrinkles. Since basting the sandwich is too tedious for words, it is easily pinned once the three layers have been laid out.

This is Michael's quilt shown in a previous post while in progress. I am sooooo happy with the way it turned out. The dupioni silk is just the right touch against the tie fabric. It's sandwiched now and I can begin the hand quilting while I'm here.




This is the other top shown in a previous post and its now ready for quilting. The adinkra symbols will be added to the solid blocks and hand quilted. I want to quilt the entire hanging by hand but I'm worried that all the seams will make that difficult but I think I'll try and I can always turn to machine quilting, if necessary. In fact, now that I think about it, machine quilting with a rayon colored thread might make it more exciting. Hmmm, not a bad idea.

No comments: