Sunday, February 04, 2007

UFO #2 - Moving right along

I've completed another project. My African-American Quilters group online decided to do an artist card swap. If you haven't heard about artist trading cards they're all the rage on the internet. They are postcard sized works of art that can be traded or mailed. Our cards are in honor of Black History Month. I decided to downsize a quilt idea I've been nursing based on the lyrics of a song called "We Are" written by Isaye Barnwell and recorded by Sweet Honey in the Rock.


The layout for the front of the card was first designed in paper with practice stitching to get some idea of what I would do to make sure this piece made it through the mail. It included to words of the song that are most meaningful for me.
"We are our grandmothers' prayers
We are our grandfathers' dreamings
We are the breath of the ancestors
We are the spirit of God"




Each item was then printed on fabric, cut out individually, and fused to a background fabric. They were topstitched with invisible thread to help them weather the adversities of the US Postal Service.









Every postcard needs a back with a greeting and the address of the recipient. The back was printed on muslin.







The two sides were fused to double sided Peltex for body and then edge stitched. The gold Adinkra symbol, Gye Nyame, was foiled to the fabric when the card was complete. My cards have been mailed to my group members and it was such fun, I'm thinking about what to do for Christmas cards.

No comments: